Fair Housing

Fair Housing Act

For more information on the fair housing act please visit the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website.

File a Fair Housing Complaint

If you think your rights have been violated, please fill out the City of Baytown Housing Discrimination Complaint Form (PDF). Call the office at 281-420-5390 if you need assistance filing out the form. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with the City, but you should file it as soon as possible.

After you file a complaint, the City of Baytown will take the following options:

  • Notify the alleged violator of your complaint and permit that person to submit an answer.
  • Investigate your complaint and determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the Fair Housing Act has been violated.
  • Notify you if they cannot complete an investigation within 45 days of receiving your complaint.


The City of Baytown Community Development Division will try to reach an agreement with the person your complaint is against (the respondent). Any written agreement must protect both you and the public interest. If an agreement is signed, the City will take no further action on your complaint. If the City has reasonable cause to believe that the agreement has been breached, the City will recommend that the complaint be forwarded to HUD and possibly to the Attorney General’s Office in order for either party to file suit.

Other Places to File a Complaint

The Community Development Division is responsible for periodically performing an analysis of impediments to fair housing choices in Baytown and for administering the Fair Housing Plan (PDF).