Although a primary focus and mission of the Baytown Police Department is to prevent crime, enforce the law and preserve the peace, we clearly recognize the importance and critical role the faith-based organizations and clergy have as leaders in the community and specifically among the families and individual citizens of our city. The Baytown Police Department Chaplain Program creates a partnership with various diverse faith-based leaders of our community to respond and assist our agency providing an overall better quality to the citizens of the community.
The goal is that by having the Police and Clergy working together during times of crisis or incidents, that a more comprehensive response will be given to those in need.
The Police Chaplain’s role:
- Provide spiritual support and encouragement to police officers, agency employees, and their families
- Perform tasks of an emotional social or spiritual nature, allowing officers to concentrate on law enforcement tasks
- Provide support both for officers and for the community during times of crisis or turmoil
- Be available on-call to respond to situations as requested by officers
The Police Chaplain, as a support to members of the Baytown Police Department, seeks to build trusting relationships with officers through:
- Ride-a-longs to get to know officers
- Confidential meetings at an officer’s request for Chaplains to provide assistance, advice, comfort, and resources to those who seek support, regardless of religious affiliation or non-affiliation
Police Chaplains also help bridge the relationship between the police and the community.
- They are available on an on-call basis to be a visible presence to assist:
- On scene in the event of an accident, death, domestic violence, or otherwise as officers perceive a need
- For emotional and spiritual support to a victim or family as required
- As a calming presence in times of conflict as requested by officers Chaplains can also assist in community outreach efforts as requested by the department