Water Services FAQs

Can I pay my bill at any other location?
Yes, the Check Cashing & More booth inside the Food Town located at 1700 Decker Drive.

Do you accept credit cards by internet or phone?
Yes, Mastercard, Visa, and Discover credit cards.

Do you charge a late charge?
Yes.  The late charges are 10% of the water, sewer, garbage, and municipal drainage utility service charged.
To avoid late charges, payment must be received in the Utility Services office by 4:00 pm. on the due date.
Payments left in the night drop after 4:00 p.m. on the due date are considered late and will have a late fee assessed.  Payments made using Official Payments are posted the next business day when funds are received and therefor are considered late.

Do you offer payments by bank draft?
Yes.  To receive an application, please contact the Utility Services office at 281-420-6515 or go to New Service.

Do you send a notice before water is disconnected for non-payment?
Yes.  The Utility Services office sends a notice of non-payment in the form of a letter once the account is past due and at lease eight days prior to the proposed termination date.  The letter states the day which payment must be made to avoid service interruption.

How much is the deposit?
If you own the property, the deposit is $50.00 per unit.  If you are renting/leasing, the deposit is $200.00 per unit.  Business and commercial deposits are calculated based on  comparable business use applied to current rates.  There is also a $30.00 service fee per meter.

Is my payment posted to my account the same day it is received?
Payments received in the Utility Services office before 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday are posted the same day received.  Payments placed in the night drop box or online are posted the next business day. 

Is there a charge for transfer of service?
Yes.  There is a $25.00 service charge to transfer service and the bill must be paid to date.

What are my payment options?
The City accepts cash, check,, money orders, automatic transfer, and a credit card with proper identification.
In person:  Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m.
Online:  www.baytown.org
Automatic Bank Draft
Night drop (located in the front & back of the building)
Mail:  P.O. Box 4265 Houston, TX 77210-4265

What if I cannot pay my bill?  Is there a place in Baytown that will provide assistance?
Yes.  Please contact the following offices.
Baytown Resource and Assistance Center at 281-424-5752
Harris County Social Services at 281-422-8564

What is the MDUS fee on my bill?
The MDUS fee stands for Municipal Drainage Utility System.  Please contact the Health Department Storm Water Division at 281-420-5384 for more information.

What will I need to pay if my water is disconnected for non-payment?
The past due amount plus a $50.00 delinquent fee.  If all outstanding charges or fees are paid in the Utility Services office before 2:00 p.m., the water will be reconnected the same day.  If payment is made after 2:00 p.m., water will be restored the next business day.

When will I get my deposit back?
When the account is closed, the deposit is applied toward payment of the final billing.  Any credit balance is refunded to the customer by check after the final bill has been processed.

When payments are mailed or paid online, when is the payment applied to the account?
Once the funds are physically received in the Utility Services office, which generally takes 1 to 3 days depending on the method used.  We encourage you not to use these methods if you have received a delinquent disconnect notice.

Is my water meter read each month?
Yes.  Your water meter is read electronically, by radio frequency, each month.  The City installed an Automated Meter reading (AMR) system, which allows readings to be transmitted through a Meter Interface Unit (MIU) installed in the meter box lid.  The transmission is received and stored by a special "drive-by" computer located in the meter Technician's vehicle.